Most parents learn they need to see a developmental pediatrician by the advice of a school or daycare official or their own pediatrician. A developmental pediatrician – sometimes also called a developmental-behavioral pediatrician – is a medical specialist who plays a critical role in helping children with various types of developmental, behavioral, and learning challenges.
While pediatricians offer general primary care services to children, developmental pediatricians assist in specific difficulties, struggles, or deficiencies in the growth and development of a child.
Many children don’t need to see a developmental pediatrician and just need visits to a regular pediatrician. However, for the many children who do need developmental or behavioral help, developmental pediatricians can provide the information, tutoring, and medication (if necessary) to help your child thrive despite any underlying issues.
Let’s take a look at what a developmental pediatrician does, and how you can find the best one for your child in Tuckahoe and Westchester County.
What Do Developmental Pediatricians Evaluate?
There are a variety of conditions and developmental problems that developmental pediatricians diagnose and treat. They evaluate patients by assessing their detailed medical history, performing a medical exam, observing and speaking with the patient, and inquiring about symptoms or the child’s behavior in a variety of settings – such as school or daycare.
Some of the things developmental pediatricians can evaluate include:
- Speech, language, and motor-skills development delays
- Nonverbal learning issues
- Social skills issues
- Mental health issues, such as anxiety or depression
- Behavioral or performance issues in school or daycare
- Conditions such as dyslexia, ADHD (attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder), or autism
Finding the Right Developmental Pediatrician for Your Child
There are many qualities you should look for when finding a developmental provider, such as:
- Experience – When selecting a physician, choose one who has years of experience diagnosing and treating children, especially treating patients with the same challenges your child has. This way, they are likely to correctly diagnose and treat the child.
- Specialties – If your child has a specific condition, go with a physician who knows it inside and out. For instance, if your child has ADHD or school performance problems, select a developmental pediatrician who has that specialization or extensive experience in treating such issues.
- Communication – While some providers have the education and experience to treat children, not all of them have the proper communication skills to make parents and children feel comfortable. Find a provider who listens to you, takes your perspective seriously, and can communicate with your child with ease. There should be no condescending tones in the doctor’s voice.
- Insurance Coverage – You will work closely with your child’s developmental pediatrician and see them multiple times a year. As such, you should find one who accepts your insurance. That way, you can get the care your child needs without worrying about having a hefty financial burden.
Experienced Developmental Pediatrician in Tuckahoe, New York
If you are in search of an experienced and talented developmental pediatrician, the experts at Village Pediatric Group can help. Schedule an appointment with one of our healthcare providers and see for yourself why we are the preferred choice for so many families.
Call us today at (914) 771-7070 to schedule your visit. You can also book an appointment online. We look forward to serving your family!